Sunday, August 20, 2006

NEWFIES!

Add to the list of my favorite things these wonderful dogs. Went today to the Newfoundland Club Water Test at Eagle Creek Park where several of these magnificent creatures qualified (or attempted) the water rescue certification. We met several wonderful dogs and a couple of nice people. I don't know if I'll ever have what it takes (primarily more time and space) to own one of these marvelous dogs, but I certainly enjoy visiting with them. They have lovely dispositions, enjoy being with their people, and are all-round wonderful companions. They are calm, confident, and some of the sanest beings around.

In fact, I learned today that there are many Newfies who are "therapy dogs". They are taken to hospitals and convalescent centers to visit people with great good effect. Also, some of them go to elementary classrooms where the children practice reading aloud while the dog listens encouragingly. I invited a couple of these great beasts to come along home, but their staunch loyalty forced them to decline--albeit graciously.


Witney to the rescue!






Eight weeks old.


Sue (from Michigan) and Benson

This is Yogi.